Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd (NYS:RCL) And Cruses Investment Holdings Reorganize Their Pullmantur Joint Venture


Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd (NYS:RCL) and Cruises Investment Holdings have announced plans to restructure their joint venture, Pullmantur Cruceros, as per the Spanish laws of insolvency considering it cancels sailings from November 15 because of COVID-19.

COVID-19 pandemic affected Pallmantur operations

Cruises Investment Holdings holds 51% interest in the joint venture while Royal Caribbean holds the remaining 49% of the cruise line. The Board of Pullmantur indicated that the action was taken as needed because of the unprecedented COVID-19 impact.

The board stated that the company made efforts for a turnaround last through massive engagement and input from its employees. However, the headwinds resulting due to COVID-19 pandemic have been devastating for the company to weather without restructuring.

Regarding sailors whose sailings were canceled by Pullmantur, Royal Caribbean stated that they will have an alternative of sailing with its other brands. The company said that customers can cruise with either Celebrity Cruises or Royal Caribbean International, with details of this offer expected to be shared with customers in the coming weeks.

On the other hand, Royal Caribbean has stated that it will book a non-cash impairment charge related to the Pullmantur JV in Q1. Royal Caribbean has indicated that all assets related to the Pallmantur joint venture are part of the non-cash impairment charge the company booked.

The company has already confirmed that three ships of Pullmantur are staffed at limited maintenance levels as it plans for the safe home return of crew members.

Cruise ships to operate on limited capacity

The cruise ship company has not released safety measures and policies n COVID-19 ahead of its resumption. However, operating in reduced capacity has been considered as one of the ways to enhance social distancing. Vicki Feed, the company’s SVP Sales and Trade Support & Service, stated that operating on a lowered capacity could be one strategy to combat the spread of COVID-19. Feed stated that since cruise ships will operate on reduced capacity, they will not be lowering prices to compromise quality.

Subscribe to get your free report!

* indicates required
*Past performance is not a predictor of future results. All investing involves risk of loss and individual investments may vary. The examples provided may not be representative of typical results. Your capital is at risk when you invest – you can lose some or all of your money. Never risk more than you can afford to lose.By submitting your information you agree to the terms of our Privacy Policy • Cancel Newsletter Any Time.This is a FREE service from Finacials Trend. Signing up for our FREE daily e-letter also entitles you to receive this report. We will NOT share your email address with anyone.